Center for Educational Improvement and Quality Assurance (CEIQA)
Established in 2004, the Centre for Educational Improvement and Quality Assurance (CEIQA) is entrusted with coordinating and overseeing the implementation of the University-wide quality enhancement programs and activities based on the University’s vision, mission, objectives, policies and guidelines. CEIQA regards national quality direction put forth by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE) and Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA).
CEIQA is responsible for the planning, monitoring, and evaluation of the institutional activities. It initiates the plan preparations at all levels and advises the various departments and offices in setting annual action plan every year and monitors and evaluates their implementation every quarter. The advisory role of CEIQA during planning time is mainly directed at assuring the relevance, comprehensiveness and technical validity of the respective offices’ plans.
With the intention of enhancing the instructional effectiveness of the University in general and to meet job expectations and promotion of the faculty members in particular, CEIQA undertakes a regular evaluation of the performance of the faculty members on a semester basis and generates a comprehensive annual report.
CEIQA is also engaged in the organization, offering and coordination of training that aims at improving the quality of higher education provision and the capacity of the human resource of the University and other stakeholders.
Pursuant to SMU’s goal, among others, CEIQA is doing the following tasks through its two Units, namely Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) and Academic Development and Resource Unit (ADRU).
Quality Assurance Unit (QAU)
The Quality Assurance Unit of CEIQA is responsible for executing the following activities:
- Participating in framing and/or review of the strategic plan of the University;
- Overseeing the formulation of action plan and its implementation;
- Participating in reviewing annual plan prepared by the various offices of SMU;
- Conducting quarterly monitoring and evaluation on implementation of planned activities of the University’s operational units;
- Producing evaluation reports based on monitoring;
- Providing training on quality assurance and enhancement practices to the University staff and other similar institutions;
- Coordinating institutional and program self-assessment;
- Publishing a quarterly newsletter which focuses on educational quality;
- Undertaking comprehensive evaluations such as biannual students’ evaluation of instructors and departments’ evaluation of staffs;
- Conducting research related to educational quality;
- Assessing the quality of research, community and professional services at University level;
- Preparing a framework and following consultancy bids to provide training to external bodies;
- Conducting consultative meetings with quality enhancement committees.
Academic Development and Resource Unit (ADRU)
CEIQA’s Academic Development and Resource Unit (ADRU) is responsible for:
- Organizing and conducting pedagogical training for the faculty;
- Providing academic consultation & collaboration to individual academic staff as well as teaching teams in aspects of teaching and learning as identified by the staff;
- Making internet service and other resources available for the University community;
- Providing spot reading for staff members of the University.
Tel: +251 11 553 7999
P. O. Box 1211/18490