Following an extensive analysis and deliberations, the University has adopted the following vision, mission goals and core values.
The Vision of St. Mary’s University is to become among the leading higher education centers of academic excellence in teaching-learning, research, publications and community services in East-Africa and contribute to the development of Ethiopia.
The Mission of St. Mary’s University is to offer conventional and distance education that is accessible to the larger society through reasonable tuition focusing on quality and standards in teaching, research and outreach services.
In order to meet and exceed the quality and standard requirements of students and stakeholders, the goals of SMU are to:
- offer relevant, diverse, learner-centered, and research-led programs of study;
- prepare graduates with the requisite knowledge, skills and attitudes embodied in the graduate profile of academic programs;
- strengthen assessment methods that validly, reliably and fairly evaluate measurable learning outcomes;
- promote technology-based, innovative and inter-disciplinary learning environment;
- augment student support, staff development, facilities and resources;
- undertake demand-driven research on local, national and international issues and problems;
- produce and disseminate research outcomes, teaching materials and other publications;
- ensure the provision of need-based services to the community at large;
- initiate, sustain and enhance a close network with local and international stakeholders; and
- put in place a system that ensures responsibility and accountability towards the performance of tasks related with the attainment of the goals enshrined herein.
a) Efficiency in using time, material and human resources by designing ways and means to reduce cost and enhance optimal use of resources;
b) Excellence (individual, team and organizational) in undertaking teaching, research and community services;
c) High regard for students (as they are future leaders and professionals) and staff (because the very existence of SMU depends on the performance, diligence and integrity of every academic and support staff);
d) Integrity while performing duties, exercising rights and learning from mistakes and good practices of oneself and others;
e) Positive thinking towards the achievability of SMU’s vision, mission, institutional goals and specific objectives;
f) Quality and standards by putting in place and observing pertinent quality assurance, monitoring and evaluation mechanisms;
g) Self-initiative to achieve SMU’s vision, mission, goals, objectives and values, and to creatively formulate institutional tasks;
h) Teamwork and team spirit among members of the academic staff, support staff and students;
i) Tolerance towards free expression of views and ideas, interpersonal relations based on equality and fairness, and appreciation of diversity and maintenance of an atmosphere of mutual respect;
j) Transparency, trustworthiness and accountability in the performance of all tasks, goals and objectives of the University and responsiveness to feedback, peer review, monitoring, evaluation and sustained personal and institutional development towards excellence.