Centre for Educational Improvement and Quality Assurance (CEIQA) was established with a particular focus on the quality of the academic and other service deliveries in order to meet the vision and mission of the University.
CEIQA, established in 2004, is a center entrusted to co-ordinate and oversee the implementation of university-wide Quality Enhancement (QE) programs and activities based on university level policies and guidelines. The Center is chaired by a director and is accountable to the President. The Center implements its functions through its two units: Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) and Academic Development and Resource Unit (ADRU).
Ever since its establishment, the Center has been doing a lot of tasks to ensure the University’s ultimate aspiration to meet academic excellence and quality in all services rendered by the University. SMU and its quality assurance centers regard national quality direction put forth by Ministry of Education and Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA). SMU is also a member for institutions like International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE) and African Quality Assurance Network (AfriQAN) to enhance the academic quality. CEIQA is to assist SMU to become Quality-assured University that would contribute to the nation’s competitive advantage through creation and dissemination of knowledge via carrying out quality assurance and enhancement activities to the University and the industry.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
CEIQA is empowered to follow up academic quality and other service delivery that SMU aspires to achieve. Pursuant to SMU’s goal, among others, CEIQA is doing the following tasks.
Quality Assurance Unit
- Participating in framing of strategic plan of the University.
- Overseeing the formulation of action plan and its implementation.
- Participating in reviewing annual plan prepared by Units of SMU.
- Conducting quarterly monitoring and evaluation on implementation of planned activities of the university’s operational units.
- Producing evaluation reports based on monitoring.
- Providing training on quality assurance and enhancement practices to the university staff and other similar institutions.
- Coordinating institutional and program self assessment.
- Publishing quarterly newsletter which focuses educational quality.
- Undertaking comprehensive evaluations such as biannual students’ evaluation of instructors, departments’ evaluation of staffs.
- Conducting research related to educational quality.
- Assessing the quality of research, community and professional services at University level.
- Preparing a framework and following consultancy bids to provide external training.
- Conducting consultative meetings with quality enhancement committees.
Plans and performance reports of SMU produced by CEIQA
Academic Development and Resource Unit (ADRU)
- Providing internet services for the University community, faculty as well as students.
- Providing spot reading for staff members of the University.
- Organizing and conducting pedagogical training for the faculty.
- Providing academic consultation & collaboration toindividual academic staff as well as teaching teams in aspects of teaching and learning as identified by the staff.
Quarterly Newsletter of CEIQA
Tel. +251-115-53 79 99 Ext. 120
P. O. Box: 1211