Established in 2004, the Centre for Educational Improvement and Quality Assurance is entrusted with co-ordinating and overseeing the implementation of university-wide Quality Enhancement (QE) programmes and activities based on university level policies and guidelines.
The Center is chaired by a Director and reports to the Executive Vice President. Currently the center has four experts working on monitoring, evaluation, training, quality assurance activities. The Center executes its duty through its two units: Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) and Academic Development and Resource Unit (ADRU).
Ever since its establishment, the Center has done a lot to ensure the University’s ultimate aspiration of attaining the highest academic excellence and quality in all services rendered by the University. SMU and its quality assurance center are well aware of the national quality direction put forth by the Ministry of Education and the Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA). SMU is also a member of institutions like International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE) and African Quality Assurance Network (AfriQAN) to enhance its academic quality.
CEIQA has defined the following vision and mission:
The vision of CEIQA is to assist SMU to become Quality-assured University that would contribute to the nation’s competitive advantage through creation and dissemination of knowledge.
The Mission of CEIQA is to carry out quality assurance services to the University and other stakeholders as may be needed.
Quality Assurance Unit is entrusted with:
- Participating in framing of strategic plan of the University;.
- Overseeing the formulation of action plans and their implementation;.
- Participating in reviewing annual plan prepared by Units of SMU;.
- Conducting quarterly monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of planned activities of the university’s operational units;.
- Providing evaluation reports based on monitoring;.
- Providing training on quality assurance and enhancement practices to the university staff and other similar institutions;.
- Coordinating institutional and program self assessment;.
- Publishing quarterly newsletter, “Quality Matters” which focuses educational quality;.
- Undertaking comprehensive evaluations such as biannual students’ evaluations of instructors, Departments’ evaluation of staffs;.
- Conducting research related to educational quality;.
- Assessing the quality of research, community and professional services at University level;.
- Preparing a frame work and assessing consultancy bids to provide external training;.
- Conducting consultative meeting with Quality Enhancement Committees;.
- Ensuring the implementation of the quality assurance policy and strategies;,
- Liaise with other similar institutions and conduct peer review which might help to assure quality;,
- Advising and consulting the various units of the university on how to improve the quality of education and training under delivery;,
- Performing all other duties assigned by the EVP.
- Giving internet services for the University community,
- Providing spot reading services for staff members of the University,
- Organizing and facilitate pedagogical training for the faculties/departments,
- Expediting academic consultation and collaboration to individual academic staff as well as teaching teams in aspects of teaching and learning as identified by the staff,
- Making available local and international reading materials
- Making available audiovisual materials and equipments to the university community.
Academic Development and Resource Unit responsible for:
Center for Educational Improvement and Quality Assurance (CEIQA)
Address : Wabe-Shebelle Campus
Tel: +251-115-53 79 99, +251-115 53 80 20 (Ext. 145)